Before you start reading: Although this is a short post, several links are provided. These links provide illustrative and satirical support for the point I am making.The links are well worth reading.
The crisis OD is facing has caused many practitioners to sell their soul. Now “selling one’s soul” is a tough thing to admit, and we all probably look at other consultants and claim that they, not I, have sold out.
So I prepared a short quiz that will indicate the degree of having sold out.
There 6 signs may indicate the severity of the sell out. I am not going to define what this means, because, like pornography, we all know it when we see it.
- You function as an order taker; the client orders OD products from your product suite.
- You avoid confronting the client because you need the income.
- You provide the client with clear delivery dates, before work has begun, because procurement wants it that way.
- You acquiesce to making OD a wow experience.
- You provide many clients with the same “best -selling” spiel.
- You cross dress as a change manager as needed to get the work.
If you agree with 3 of these statements, we know what profession you are in, so please quote the price.