In the many years of practicing OD worldwide, my Asia and Mid East clients have taught me about ten leadership behaviors which can cause unpleasant feelings, severe embarrassment and shame.
- When someone in a very senior position asks for an opinion, whilst he himself is the one who is supposed to know and tell the employees what to do
- When a senior leader praises what a younger team member says more than he praises the younger team member’s boss.
- When we are asked to advocate our ideas with people senior to us.
- When we are pushed to “speak up” in a language in which we feel uncomfortable.
- When facilitators ask us to be “open”.
- When we laugh while we are serious.
- Formality is to be put aside so we can have a discussion of equals.
- When there is a hidden message-when you “improve,” you will behave like us.
- When very senior management dresses too informally.
- When we are forced to talk one at a time.
If you were surprised, take my test to check out your global mindset.
Dear reader, In order to clean up the spam, all blog subscriptions were deleted and a new subscription system installed. Please re register on the right side/bottom of the blog – sorry for the trouble. Allon