Look at the following list of key OD values which guide our profession as we supoort various change efforts.
- Respect and Inclusion
Are these values shared globally? As I see it, in many parts of the world, the guiding values are very different! For example:
- Respect and Inclusion looks more like “Give face to boss and get face in return”
- Collaboration looks more like “obedience or feigned obedience because there is “one tiger to a hill” and collaboration is seen as betrayal of authority.
- Authenticity looks more like “total control and repression of emotion as a desired state” and authenticity is weakness.
- Self-awareness looks more like “appear” professional and collected at all times
- Empowerment looks more like ” power is to be hoarded not shared” and empowerment means giving away a rare resource….ie, stupidity.
Imperialism is defined as a policy of extending a country’s power and influence through diplomacy or military force. Is OD as practiced cultural imperialism?