Following the social media as best as I can as an agile 66 year old, it would appear that organizations are undergoing a radical revolution.
- Hierarchies are being replaced by holocracies and adhocratic configurations.
- Leadership strives to engage.
- HR has shrieked “Eureka” having embraced data analytics as the ultimate elixir.
- Talent needs to be titillated and won over, or else there will be severe intense and painful retention problems.
What am I missing?
I am still very active as a consultant although I put aside one day a week to study history. And I have just not seen all the above happening in the field. Here is what I do see-
- I see organizations as political war zones as the amount of jobs recedes. People cooperate less as they strive to maintain their positioning to retain the power-to-be-employed.
- Leaders appear to me over reliant or enslaved to IT driven idiotic practices. People abscond responsibility more than ever.
- HR is as sycophantic and bureaucratic as it ever was.
- Lots of lip-service to talent. People don’t matter; they are a replaceable commodity.
So what am I missing?