One of the services that I provide is working with people who have superb technical skills to develop their leadership capabilities.
In my experience, people with superb technical skills respond much better to one on one coaching than to learning with a group of people since in a group, they have often learned to be heroes and/or excel by leaning on one limited set of skills with people prone to worship technical talent.
When I do intake before I start the work itself, I ask 15 questions in a 2 hour session. Here are 6 of the questions that I ask before we start to work to begin to understand who I am working with.
- What are the major assumptions that you have about what makes leadership “happen”?
- What can’t leaders do?
- What is the added value that a leader should provide towards clients, boss’ and peers? Direct and indirect reports?
- What events detract from a leader’s influence?
- What are some of the reasons you can think of why people would not follow you?
- What are some of the main reasons that you followed and did not follow people who have led you?
Follow me @AllonShevat